247: Benjamin Hardy - The Best Self Improvement Book Of 2018
- Language: eng
- Published: 5 Mar 2018
- Duration: 54:32
The Learning Leader Show With Ryan Hawk: Since 2015, Benjamin Hardy has been the #1 writer on Medium.com. He is pursuing his PhD in Industrial and Organizational Psychology from Clemson University. Ben's writing focuses on self-improvement, motivation, and entrepreneurship. His writing is fueled by his personal experiences, self-directed education, and formal education. Ben's work is read by millions of people every month.
- Commonalities of leaders who sustain excellence?
- They continually put themselves in situations that demand a lot of them. They put themselves in high stakes situations
- They invest in themself
- They create conditions for success to happen
- Pianist John Burke (Grammy nominated)
- He puts external pressure on himself ("I will release an album a year"). It forces him to get to work to fulfill those expectations he puts on himself
- Being socially invested is a forcing function
- Signing up for the race like Parker Mays -- A date on the calendar to prepare for. "If I don't prepare, I will fail miserably"
- Why you should invest 10% of your income in your self
- The best self improvement book Ben has ever read? Letting Go
- "Willpower doesn't work." You must create the environment to be successful -- Upgrade your mindset
- Self signaling - How you view yourself is not permanent. Start to alter your behavior, you start seeing yourself differently
- You can shape your personality
- How to upgrade yourself? -- "When you invest money, you are committed"
- Why all high performers invest in a coach
- Peak moments -- how to change your life for the better
- Cal Newport - "Be So Good They Can't Ignore You"
- Investing in relationships (Jeff Goins and Ryan Holiday)
- How to build a platform
- Learn marketing
- Learn how to write viral headlines (Use numbers, matching, focused on outcomes)
- Want To Become A Multi-Millionaire? Do These 15 Things Immediately
- Understand structure - subheadings, short/snappy sentences and paragraphs
- Have a call to action at the end
- Create a landing page for email capture
- Learn marketing
- What is great writing?
- Be a good teacher: Communicate effectively. Convey & connect. Weave stories in and out: Story --> Science --> Story --> Science --> Story --> Science
- Head knowledge: Know your space.
- Have heart: Emotional rigor, intense stories
- How to become a master of your craft
- Your decisions determine your destiny
- Visualize the process, not just the outcome
- Create environments for optimal implementation
- Pre plan for adversity to strike and how you will respond
- Morning routine:
- Write in journal --> "Write it down, make it happen" --> Read --> Work out. Create momentum for yourself.
"Willpower doesn't work. You must create the environment for success to be achieved."
- Follow Ben on Twitter: @BenjaminPHardy
- Read: WILLPOWER DOESN'T WORK
- Connect with me on LinkedIn
- Join our Facebook Group: The Learning Leader Community
- To Follow Me on Twitter: @RyanHawk12